Sunday, May 4, 2014

Our Hearts Harmony: Chapter 1 - First Week (We Hope We Become Lovers)


Narrator: Can hearts sync beautifully? Can the beating of two hearts rhyme well? Can they get into harmony?

(music)

Narrator: Kevin Lee and Gwen Kim had been childhood friends in kindergarten, got separated in primary school to middle school, and reunited in high school. They were linked to each other, not as your typical girl-boy bestfriend, or the BFF you hang out with. They were playing and singing songs in school as a duo. 

(Yong Hwa enters the room with a guitar in hand, going to the center of the stage where there rests a chair and a sheet music stand. All along, the spotlight follows him.) 


Narrator: Gwen went inside the music room (the whole stage lights up) to find her partner plotting some notes on the musical sheet while nursing a guitar as well. She smiled, remembering the first time they met each other. 

(lights off again)
Gwen (Shin Hye’s voice-over): Kevin is a rich kid who transfered schools due to the wish of his father, but he did not fit in at first because the other students were kind of intimidated with his bearing. He was rather aloof, and he had no friends because of that. We had been classmates in first grade in high school three years ago, but not even I could not approach him because to me, he had changed. He was the exact opposite from the Kevin I knew back in kindergarten. And because of that, I suddenly find him, not as a friend, but as a stranger. That was the reason why I did not approach him. If you ask me how I still remember him over the years? It is because kindergarten was such a happy time for me, and young as I was, I had liked him back then.
However, on the fourth day from the start of classes, I walked in the auditorium to find him alone...
(pinkish lights on, Yong Hwa sitting on the same chair, with the same set-up)
Gwen (Shin Hye's voice over): Classes had ended for the day, but gratefully, no teacher found him using the facilities without permission. He was strumming his guitar, and I could really hear what he was singing... His voice is so...tender, like the Phantom hiding in the opera... His voice rang across the hollow hall, melancholy and beauty binding together, haunting me yet making me want it.
Phantom of the Opera Lyrics

Kevin (Yong Hwa):
No more talk of darkness
Forget these wide-eyed fears
I'm here, nothing can harm you
My words will warm and calm you

Let me be your freedom
Let daylight dry your tears
I'm here, with you, beside you
To guard you and to guide you

(Shin Hye gets near)

Gwen (Shin Hye):
Say you'll love me every waking moment
Turn my head with talk of summertime
Say you'll need me with you now and always
Promise me, that all you say is true
That's all I ask of you

(Yong Hwa and Shin Hye looking at each other, eye to eye. Shin Hye felt something in the way Yong Hwa looked at her, but Yong Hwa wanted to die right there and then. He could not want to maintain eye contact, but he was hopelessly in love with her that he wanted to pour out his heart to her.)



Kevin (Yong Hwa):
Let me be your shelter
Let me be your light
You're safe, no one will find you
Your fears are far behind you

Gwen (Shin Hye): 
All I want is freedom
A world with no more night
And you, always beside me
To hold me and to hide me

Kevin (Yong Hwa):
Then say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime
Let me lead you from your solitude
Say you'll need me with you here, beside you
Anywhere you go let me go too
That's all I ask of you

Gwen (Shin Hye): 
Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime
Say the word and I will follow you

Kevin (Yong Hwa) & Gwen (Shin Hye): 
Share each day with me, each night, each morning

Gwen (Shin Hye):
Say you love me

Kevin (Yong Hwa):
You know I do

Kevin (Yong Hwa) & Gwen (Shin Hye): 
Love me
That's all I ask of you
Anywhere you go, let me go too
Love me
That's all I ask of you 
Gwen (Shin Hye’s voice-over): Kevin’s voice...it was the first time he ever sang...or even talked to me in a song. The whole world—no, the auditorium was silent, with a silence so deafening that it echoed across the big hall.
Kevin (Yong Hwa): Your voice is captivating. (smiles)

(For the first time, Shin Hye got captivated with his smile, and he noticed her blushing at him.)

Gwen (Shin Hye): Komawoyo. Your voice is rather husky for an opera song like that, but you gave it a beautiful twist.

Kevin (Yong Hwa): I have a throat problem, so I sound rather husky. And please speak informally to me.

Gwen (Shin Hye): Ne...

Narrator: Both of them spent the whole afternoon singing, until they decided to sing as a duo in school programs. They also talked of things in the past, reuniting that old friendship that they used to have. Because of that, Gwen got to know that Kevin had a partner back in middle school, who was so annoying that she kept following him everywhere like she was some wad of gum. Gwen also got to know that Kevin got to befriend a guy older than him, making them best friends.

(And it was the end of Shin Hye’s flashback.)

(lights off, normal stage lights on)

(Shin Hye smiles and got inside the room, sits next to her partner, and heaves a sigh. Yong Hwa looks at her with a smirk.)

Kevin (Yong Hwa): Why is that so deep? I bet it was as deep as the well where Sadako stays.

Gwen (Shin Hye): Kevin!!! Aish! (punches his arm)
Kevin (Yong Hwa’s voice-over): I had learned to socialize with my classmates, thanks to that lonely afternoon when Gwen sang with me...
Kevin (Yong Hwa): Gaja.

(lights turned off again)

(Next set-up: a tteokbokki stand to the center of the stage, with Shin Hye and Yong Hwa standing to buy. Siwon comes in.)


Kevin (Yong Hwa): Hyung!

Jimmy (Siwon): Oh, Kevin! Oh, annyeong, Gwen?

Gwen (Shin Hye): (bows) Jimmy-oppa, annyeonghaseyo?

Jimmy (Siwon): What are you having?

Kevin (Yong Hwa): We just want tteokbokki.

Jimmy (Siwon): (turns to seller) Agasshi, (pats Yong Hwa’s shoulder) this little boy here, I really love him to death. You see, we have been friends since middle school, and since I am a year older than him, I take good care of him. And his friend here is really good too.

Agasshi (Eun Jung): Aish, maybe you are only asking for free tteokbokki.

Jimmy (Siwon): Animnida, Agasshi (laughs). Really, please give me three orders. 

Agasshi (Eun Jung): Algesseumnida, Sonnim (Customer).

Jimmy (Siwon): Kevin, Gwen, this will be on me.

Kevin (Yong Hwa) & Gwen (Shin Hye): Kamsahamnida...

(Eun Jung, who plays Agasshi , whisks her way to make them tteokbokki. Then, she hands them the food, with Siwon handing money. Then, the three of them begin to eat.)


Samantha (Hara): (shouts) Oppa!

(The three turn to see Hara, waving at them. Yong Hwa losts his smile as he waves back at her and excuses himself from their company. Shin Hye can not even look straight as Hara looks at her in spite.)


Gwen (Shin Hye’s voice-over): Why does Samantha have to be here? Why is she dragging along all the skeletons out of my closet?
Samantha (Hara’s voice-over): Why is she with my Kevin-oppa?
Jimmy (Siwon): Gwen, gaja.

Gwen (Shin Hye): Eodi?

Jimmy (Siwon): (to Yong Hwa) Kevin, Gwen and I will go to the arcade, so if you wanna tag along, just give me a text.

Kevin (Yong Hwa): Ne, Hyung.

(Yong Hwa turns around and is shocked when Hara hugs him tight)

Samantha (Hara): Oppa~~~ I miss you soooooooo much!

Kevin (Yong Hwa): Ya! Your bony arms hurt!

Samantha (Hara): (let go of the hug) Oppa, I am so hurt!

Kevin (Yong Hwa): You should stop starving yourself and get some good food and exercise.

Samantha (Hara): (pouts) Kevin-oppa. Tell me honestly. Are you dating Gwen-unni?

Kevin (Yong Hwa): Dating who? (scoffs) Ani! We are just a duo in school.

Samantha (Hara): Oppa, were we not a duo in middle school back then? (almost crying) I had heard so much about your popularity that I cannot live with it. Oppa, please wait for me in college so that we can be partners again.

Kevin (Yong Hwa): Mianhada. But I made a pact with Gwen to still be her partner and be stars.

(Hara sobs, and Eun Jung shakes her head in disgust.)

Samantha (Hara): Kevin-oppa! How can you be so heartless? I promise you, Oppa, I will practice hard so we can be partners again!

Kevin (Yong Hwa): (hands fist to hwaiting sign) Good luck on your endeavors.

Samantha (Hara): Oppa, I am just doing this because I still like you. I will always like you.

Kevin (Yong Hwa): Mianhande, you are a little sister to me, Samantha...so I cannot feel the same way you do (says it in a sorry manner).

(Hara breaks into sobs and runs away.)

Narrator: Kevin felt a bit sorry for Samantha because the two of them had a history together, though not on the romantic side. He got his cellphone (Yong Hwa grabbing his phone), and sent a text to Jimmy, asking him what arcade are they in as of the moment.

(lights off, then on. We see lots of chairs, with the students sitting down and being agitated, as if impatient. Lee Tuk agreed to act as the school principal)

Narrator: Their graduation ceremony was as dry as the coconut husks under the sun, just like any other Korean high school graduation ceremony, but Kevin and Gwen made it colorful by singing a graduation song to them.

(Shin Hye and Yong Hwa go in front of their classmates, with Yong Hwa bringing the guitar.)

Narrator: They translated a Japanese song to Korean, a song that they deemed fit in the event that they currently are in. Kevin and Gwen sang “March 9th,” a song that the Japanese students sang in “One Liter Of Tears.”

Sangatsu Kokonoka (March 9th) Lyrics

Kevin (Yong Hwa) & Gwen (Shin Hye):
In the direct middle of the flowing season
I suddenly think of the length of the day
In the midst of these busy days
I draw a dream of you and me

Sending (my) thoughts on the March breeze
The Sakura blossoms will take us to spring

Tiny dots of light overflow our way
Bit by bit warming up the morning
After a huge yawn
I blush a bit, laying by your side

Standing at the entrance of a new world
The thing I realised is I'm not alone

If I close my eyes
You're still there on the other side (of my eyelids)
I wonder how strong you've become
And I want to be that same way to you

The windstorm that sweeps up the sand
And knots up all the hanging laundry
The white moon in the morning sky
Is somehow nice, it had me hypnotised

Things can always go wrong, but
If you look at the sky, it seems so small

The blue sky always seems so well-put-together
The puffy pillow-clouds are moving along
As long as we all share the joy of waiting for the flowers to bloom, it'll be fine.

From here on, side by side
With a gentle smile

If I close my eyes
You're still there on the other side
I wonder how strong you've become
And I want to be that same way to you

Narrator: The students flocked out of the auditorium after the graduation ceremony and went their separate ways. 

(Lights were turn off and then on again with Jong Hun and Wonbin holding their guitars. Taecyeon and Hyun Jin are on vocals singing a song of FT Island's "We Hope We Become Lovers")


My heart is slowly tinging at your cute and innocent image oh
Whenever I come across you, I become awkward for no reason

I keep getting curious about everything about you
Every night I dream a dream of my own oh
What would it be like if you became my lover
And I finally confess my hidden love for you now

I hope you will be my lover
I hope you will be my one and only love
Please only tell me your confessions of love

I hope you will be my lover
I hope you will stay by my side
Wherever you go, whatever you do
I hope you will only think of me

I have a lot of feelings to show you but
I don’t know how I should begin oh
My heart is impatient for no reason
So even if I seem awkward, please accept my confession

I hope you will be my lover
I hope you will be my one and only love
Please only tell me your confessions of love

I hope you will be my lover
I hope you will stay by my side
Wherever you go, whatever you do
I hope you will only think of me

I pray that I become your lover

Promise me that you’ll be my lover
Promise me that you’ll be my one and only love
Please whisper love to me sweetly like chocolate


All photos and videos used: Special thanks to the rightful owner and uploader.

No comments:

Post a Comment